A provisional school was opened at Junee Reefs in 1884 on the site of the present Catholic Church but was moved to near where the hall stands.
It became a Public School in 1892 and was replaced in 1910.
On its closure in 1945, the building was moved to the then Junee Central School and later to Illabo School where it is still in use.
Some children walked to school, five to six kilometres, was not uncommon.
Others might have the luxury of a horse and sulky or a pony.
At times, two or three might be aboard one horse.
As in other small district villages, there were sports days at Junee Reefs.
The Public School held sports near the hall and the Junee Reefs/Junee Catholic Sports were held at Harris’ trotting track on “Greenfields” which still has Harris family associations.
Junee Reefs’ population fluctuated as mines prospered or faltered and as more district land was taken up by selectors.
At the peak of mining, it is believed that there were about 4000 people in the area, mostly living in very temporary quarters such as tents or bark huts.
By 1907, there was only one blacksmith’s shop, one hotel, a few cottages and the Post Office.
They were near the Catholic Church.
A Presbyterian Church was at The Reefs in 1889 and the Mission Hall was south of the School on “Panuara”.
Many of the early business premises such as James Pratt’s butchery, bakery and general store were built in as little as three days and would have been a little primitive and easily removed.
As the village faded away, in 1904, the Williamson Estate of about 2900 acres (1160 ha) was advertised for sale in 11 blocks which included the Junee Reefs/Victoria Hotel.
The Hotel closed in 1907 and at some stage was occupied by the Post Office operated by a Mrs Lawson who later moved to the west of the Old Junee-Temora Road on the property now known as “Call Again”.
The Post Office occupied one room of the house and continued when the property was purchased by the Harris family in 1944.
The Post Office had a red telephone box outside which was well used, calls being made through the Junee Telephone Exchange while telegrams could be sent from the Post Office.
There are conflicting accounts as to when and from where mail was delivered but in 2018, the service is probably less efficient than 100 years ago.
The Junee Reefs Post Office closed in 1971, while the former Post Office/Victoria Hotel/Coach House had become derelict but was later restored as a house in the 1950s.
A more recent house now occupies the site.
After mining ceased, the district became a typical rural area with a good community spirit with, for many years, cricket and tennis competitions, both locally and further afield.
The concrete cricket pitch remains not far from the Catholic Church.
There were dances, balls and other functions at the hall which has been well modernised and is still regularly used.