The electric telegraph opened in Junee Junction in 1878 and provided an important function in the operation of the railway.
Also in 1878, a request for a Post Office at Junee Railway Station was approved.
It was for a Receiving Office, located in George Dobbyns’ store next to the Railway Hotel.
On June 12,1878, Dobbyns was appointed Receiving Officer with an annual payment of 12 pounds or $24 p.a.
On September 2, 1878, Jewnee (Old Junee) Post Office closed, re-opening the following day as a Receiving Office with Junee Railway Station Post Office becoming a full Post Office.
George Dobbyns was made Postmaster at 25 pounds p.a. ($50).
Strong objection from Old Junee and district led to the reinstatement of Old Junee Post Office with Samuel Storey as Postmaster.
With trains now carrying mail, George Dobbyns also delivered mail from the Junction to Old Junee bi-weekly for 45 pounds ($99) p.a.
Junee Railway Station Post Office was renamed Junee Junction Post Office from July 16, 1881 and it was not until November 1, 1893 that it was changed to Junee Post Office.
Moves to establish a school at Junee commenced in December, 1878 but it was 1880 before the Junee Railway Provisional School was established in the building.
It was in this building in which Miss Lillian Crawley had operated a private school, located where the Loftus Hotel was later built.
Throughout the district, which included all the surrounding agricultural runs or stations as they became known, small schools were established.
Previous mention was made of the Old Junee School opening as a Provisional School in the Wesleyan (later Methodist) Church in 1880.
A second building was opened in 1882 and the final two-roomed building opened on the school grounds to the south in 1913.
That building survives today, now as a private residence.
In the first quarter of operation, from an enrolment of 39 pupils, the average attendance was 22.
It should be noted that to attend, children often had to walk, some might have had a pony which at times carried multiple riders, others travelled by horse and sulky if the family could afford it.
Often distances were much greater than children would consider walking now, even in good weather.
Some of the more than 20 other schools were Gwynne, Ivor, Mitta Mitta, Dart Hill, Woodville, Trevithin, Clarendon, Wantiool, Boree and Clear Hills, probably now unknown to many today but all contributed to the development of the district in the education of the children.
Junee township continued to grow with the increasing workforce of the railway and commercial interests to service the town and district and permanent facilities, such as the fine train station.
This station stands today and is a tribute to its designer and builder.
In 1884, Postmaster E C Mann wrote that the population was over 1100 adults and increasing daily.