Lawyers prosecuting the man accused of abducting and murdering Sunshine Coast schoolboy Daniel Morcombe have until November to complete a brief of evidence against the defendant.
Security was tight at Brisbane Magistrates Court this morning for the second committal mention for Brett Peter Cowan, who was charged nearly eight years after 13-year-old Daniel disappeared while waiting for a bus below an overpass in Woombye.
Mr Cowan's lawyer Tim Meehan, of Ryan and Bosscher Lawyers, said he was yet to receive a brief of evdience from Crown prosecutors nearly seven weeks after his client was charged, preventing him from applying for bail.
Mr Meehan said his client was brought to the court house today, but was not required to appear in the dock.
Mr Meehan said his client would apply for bail in the coming weeks.
Ahead of the mention this morning, Mr Meehan told reporters he and his client were frustrated at the Department of Public Prosecution's delay in completing the brief of evidence.
"Not withstanding the fact that my client's been charged and is now in custody there still seems to be an ongoing investigation which is a little strange," he said outside the court.
"I'm surprised nothing has been forthcoming."
"[But] it depends on how soon the Crown gets the material to us."
Deputy Chief Magistrate Brian Hine ordered prosecutors to deliver a complete brief of evidence to Mr Cowan's defence counsel on November 28.
He went on to order Mr Cown to face court again on December 12 for another committal mention, via a video link from prison.
Mr Cowan faced the Magistrates Court last month after the judge requested he be swiftly brought to the court from the watchhouse.
He has been charged with one count each of murder, deprivation of liberty, child stealing, indecent treatment of a child under the age of 16, and interference with a corpse.
Since last month, police officers and State Emergency Services volunteers have been scouring bushland in Beerwah and found human remains later confirmed by DNA testing to be Daniel's.
The search for the schoolboy's remains continues.
Follow Brisbane Times on Twitter: @brisbanetimes
Be our fan on Facebook: /brisbanetimes